Monday, September 7, 2015

Beer for breakfast?!? Well... beer infused crepes for breakfast!

Pumpkin Beer Crepes with Apple Pie Filling? YES PLEASE

I never make crepes because I always figured they were too difficult. I discovered this morning, through a lot of trial and error, that they aren't difficult but they are specific to your cookware and your stovetop. They are also DELICIOUS, so I persevered through this recipe, and found the recipe itself is awesome but you may want to make some extra batter to play around with before you serve the final product. 
We love Sam Adams beer in this house, and the fall mix pack has pumpkin beer in it. I knew I wanted to make an apple pie filling, and decided to amp up the flavors of the crepe with some pumpkin beer. I also didn't have any milk in the house, so I substituted with beer and condensed milk and I was glad I did!

Before you begin, keep in mind this recipe works best if you have 30-60 minutes to rest your batter in the fridge, and  I've read that it works even better if you rest it over night. With that being said, let's make some crepes!


You will need:

(This recipe yielded 12 small crepes for me, so probably 6-8 larger ones if you used a larger pan.)

Crepes:

  • 1 cup flour
  • ¾ Cup Water
  • ¼ cup beer
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 TBSP condensed milk (you could omit this if you used milk where I used water!)
  • Pinch of salt

Apple Filling and Topping:

  • 1-2 paper thin sliced apples ( I used my Cuisinart food processor and it worked like a dream)
  • Cinnamon powder to taste ( I used a few pinches in the apples, a few more in the yogurt  and then sprinkled some on top of the finished, stuffed crepes)
  • Cinnamon Stick
  • 1 TSP Grated Ginger
  • 1 TBSP brown sugar
  • ½ Cup Yogurt (I used Greek)
  • Honey


Steps
Crepes and Apple Filling
  1. Combine flour, eggs, salt, water and beer until thoroughly mixed. (You don't want any lumps in this mixture! The batter should be very runny.)
  2. Set batter aside to rest.
  3. Heat a sauce pan with a little butter: add apples, cinnamon stick, grated ginger and sugar.
  4. Once the mixture begins to brown, add a small amount of water and increase heat to caramelize.
  5. Once the water has evaporated, turn the heat down to low and allow the apples to soak up the flavor of the cinnamon and ginger.
  6. Combine greek yogurt with cinnamon and a few TSPs honey (depending on how sweet you want this) in a small bowl and set aside
  7. Retrieve your crepe batter and stir through to ensure all lumps are gone.
  8. Heat a skillet to medium heat, add butter or oil ( this is important even if you have a non-stick pan! You will get dry, chalky crepes and no one wants that. )
  9. Pour a small amount of batter into the pan, quickly swirling to coat the pan before the crepe begins to cook.
  10. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until edges brown and crepe can be flipped.
  11. Wipe out your pan between crepes ( also really important) and melt new oil or butter.
  12. Fill crepes with cinnamon yogurt and apples and roll one side in to the center (over your filling) and continue to roll until the final edge is tucked under.
  13. Top with extra yogurt and some sprinkles of cinnamon.
  14. Optional topping: If you have apple butter at home, combine that with some greek yogurt and top your crepes. Its delicious!
Enjoy!
-Dr. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment